Friday, February 16, 2007

The Oak Tree


I went to the Hallmark Gold Crown Store yesterday to mail a letter to my sister. Strange thing about Phoenix is that they do not have many US Post Office Mail Boxes sitting on street corners. There is a substation in the Hallmark store and that is where I go to mail letters and cards. Before I mailed the letter to my sister, I looked for a card to send to say I was sorry and forgive me. During the search, I saw a Hallmark Card, "The Oak Tree".

The reason the card drew my attention is that a friend and I are writing a poem about an oak tree. He made me a challenge to me. I would write a story about an oak tree and send it to him. He would write the first verse, I would write the second verse, he the third, etc., until we complete the poem. Finding this card is the second “coincidence” related to an oak tree.

The first occurred shortly after we started the poem. I went to my bank’s website and there was a picture of an oak tree with a heart carved into its trunk (that was part of our story). I sent him the picture of the tree. Finding the card was especially shocking since it had a poem on it and parts of that poem were like lines from ours. I have not decided if these two events are just coincidences or is God telling me something and I do not hear him.

On the front of the card, there is a picture of an oak tree on the bank of a river lined with trees and white clouds against the blue sky. This is the poem on the card.

"The Oak Tree" A Message of Encouragement.

A mighty wind blew night and day.
It stole the oak tree's leaves away,
Then snapped its bark
until the oak was tired and stark.
But still the oak tree held its ground
while other trees feel all around....
The weary wind gave up and spoke,
"How can you still be standing, Oak?"
The oak tree said, "I know that you
can break each branch of mine in two,
carry every leaf away,
shake my limbs, and make me sway.
But I have roots stretched in the earth,
growing stronger since my birth.
You'll never touch them, for you see,
they are the deepest part of me.
Until today, I wasn't sure
of just how much I could endure.
But now I've found, with thanks to you,
I"m stronger that I ever knew.

The inside verse reads:
Especially now,
try to remember
that you're stronger
than any problem
you encounter
or any disappointment
life will bring.

Thinking of you,
believing in you,

caring for you.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that poem...it served and continues to serve many a purpose in my life. I do believe we come across this card/poem for a reason. It came to me during a time in my life that I needed it most. I actually bought 3 of the same card and have used it to help others when I feel they have needed it. Great choice of inspiration.

Anonymous said...

This card has brought more peace to my self and my family than you will ever know. It was just read at the funeral mass of my dearest friend for 58 years.

The day after he died my daughter Michelle came over to show me a card she was going to send to Richard after the holidays and I said may I read it.

That card ultimately was incorported into the eugoly and will burn in the hearts of all who heard it.

Thank you to God and the person who wrote it for an awesome gift.

Peace,
Jerry

Anonymous said...

The name of our housing estate in Ireland where we live translates as "Little Oak Wood" and we have put this poem on a plaque on the wall of our Community Centre to serve as a strength for the whole community.

I hope it does for all residents and communities too, wherever you are.

Anonymous said...

I believe that wonderful poem was written by Johnny Ray Ryder Jr.

Anonymous said...

I just found this exact card exactly when I needed those words. God, the Universe, Jah... Led me to these words at this time. Beautiful poetry.